General Ogolla: Why Raila had to skip funeral and other untold secrets | Kenya news

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Westlands Constituency 2007: Focus on The Emerging Candidates

I intend to start giving free publicity in this blog to the sort of candidates that I believe Kenya needs right now. Dancan Muhindi is an excellent example. In fact I strongly feel that he should be convinced to throw in his hat for MP. Read on and decide for yourself.


Dancan Muhindi: Declaration 2007

Email Announcement

Dear friends,
I hope this finds you well.

I'll not pretend as many aspiring politicians often do, that they've suddenly heard "the call of the people" to be their elected leader. We all know many of them who have "succumbed" to these "appeals" and gone into elective politics for their own ends. I'll not attempt to use those lines.

I'm just a guy who is tired of complaining and whining that things are not working, that the systems in our country are messed up and we need radical change. I'm a guy who has decided not to engage any more in verbal debates and arguments on why we need "new blood" and "new faces", in Kenya's leadership.

I'm tired of listening to lots of people complain and say, "What we need in Kenya is fresh, young and talented leadership." To be honest, I'm actually one of those people who have been talking like that for years!

The funny thing is, none of us complainers and whiners have been willing to be those "young, fresh and talented leaders" we all yearn for. We would rather watch from the comfort of the sidelines and not "dirty our hands."

Meanwhile, the same names we've had since 1963 keep popping up during elections, laughing all the way to power. Without any questions, we humbly accept their advice that we are the "leaders of tomorrow."

Well, am just tired of it all. I've decided to put my money where my mouth is and not wait for this elusive "tomorrow." I'm therefore going to present myself humbly to the good people of Kileleshwa ward as a candidate for Councillor during this-years' general elections in December.

The first time I told a few people about my intentions of becoming a Nairobi Councillor, I was not surprised when they burst out laughing. Their reaction was a
serious confirmation of just how low, these elected local government representatives are regarded by the majority of Nairobians, and indeed many Kenyans.

The focus in every Election has always been on Presidential and Parliamentary candidates. This has helped many council candidates with dubious credentials to evade serious scrutiny by the voters. More often than not, they get elected through the now famous "3-piece suit" system, with disastrous consequences on the management of our local authorities.

A simple survey I carried out amongst my friends and relatives showed that none of them could name their local Councillor! Despite the fact that Nairobi City Council is composed of 55 elected and 20 nominated Councillors, none of my buddies could name more than five.

This is a reflection of the general apathy by Kenyan urban voters towards these representatives, yet they are at the grass roots of our governance systems that we keep complaining about.

Some friends initially asked me, between hysterical bursts of laughter, why of all things, I would want to be a Councillor. "Member of Parliament, yes, makes sense, but aspiring to be a mere councillor, whats up dude?"

I understand where they are coming from. After all, am a well-educated ICT professional working for an International NGO with good career prospects, and currently studying for an M.A. at the University of Nairobi. Seriously speaking, the radical job switch actually entails a drastic income reduction for myself!

I plan to set up an interactive blogspot this July, to answer these questions and engage Kileleshwa voters on various issues in the lead up to the elections in December 2007. The blog will also aim to provide compelling reasons why we Nairobians, especially the professionals in various sectors, should rethink our complacency when it comes to the workings of civic authorities.

I believe that by setting up this blog and running for the position of Nairobi Councillor, I'll have contributed in a small way, to focusing my fellow citizens
on the calibre of leaders running our local authorities. This is much better than just complaining and waiting for the emergence of "young, fresh and talented leadership" to reform our country.

For the young and the not-so young reformers in Kenya aspiring for leadership positions, this blog will offer a slightly different view on why the best way to reform our country should start at our County, Municipal and City councils, rather than in Parliament.

Please join me in this blog discussion once it is set up. I would like to hear your comments and suggestions regarding the proposed way into public office for "the leaders of tomorrow." I welcome your valuable contributions to these thoughts and aspirations. In the meantime, you can also email me with your comments and ideas.

I realise that the journey ahead is not going to be easy. I've already started the ground work and I believe the challenges can be overcome with concerted effort. I would like to appeal to all of you, as my friends (and potential voters!) :o) to join my campaign and help get me elected into the Nairobi city council.

The easiest and first step is to register as a voter, or transfer your vote to Kileleshwa ward, Westlands constituency, at the following polling stations:

1. Kileleshwa Primary School.

2. St. Mary's School.

3. Salvation Army Children's Home (Off Musa Gitau Rd, Waiyaki Way - Waruku).

4. Westlands C.T.R (Rhapta Road)


The ECK started voter registration from 1st to 31st March 2007. These polling stations are already operational. Please feel free to bring along your family and as many friends or acquaintances as you can.

Thanking you in advance, I look forward to your support this year! :o)

Regards,

Dancan Muhindi

Please reply to dmuhindi@gmail.com


A Little creativity made Kenyan man $1,000 in daily profits

This woman has never heard sex, the reason will shock you.

3 comments:

  1. Is this guy telling us to go vote in kileleshwa even if we dont live there? That's like choosing a councillor for these guys. The wearer of the shoe knows where it pinches, those kileleshwa know their problems n so he's gotta talk to them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it....we have waited for long time for our "tomorrow" to come, do not give up, sky is the limit go get it. You already have the faith now get on the ground let them know waz up. The path might be a little dark but kumbuka KUMEKUCHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. @anon

    You missed Dancan's point. His point is much bigger. You might have read it too fast.

    ReplyDelete

Any posts breaking the house rules of COMMON DECENCY will be promptly deleted, i.e. NO TRIBALISTIC, racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive, swearing, DIVERSIONS, impersonation and spam AMONG OTHERS. No exceptions WHATSOEVER.