Scary military reaction to General Ogolla crash | Kenya news

Saturday, July 28, 2007

More Slum Talk: Can Kenyans Handle It?

archive

I looked at a friend’s braided hair (locally referred to as twist) with admiration at the way it was done. It was neat and shining making her look so elegant. I told her you must take me to that place you did your hair.

She told me it was done in Kibera slums at a place called Kianda, which is near the main road connected to Ayany estate and asked me if I would still want to go, I said why not I don’t have a problem going to the slums, I grew up in an estate next to the slums most of my childhood, so I am familiar with the area and its not such a big issue going to the slums. She told me they are very much cheaper compared to town yet it is done exactly the same way. The lady running...

Read more

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Sue for that piece. Is that the salon next to the railway line bridge? Or the one at the No. 32 matatu bus terminus Ayany Estate junction?

    In Kibera slums, residents pay double or triple for a 20 litre jerry-can of water in comparison to what utility company charges. If they are 'rich' enough and they can afford an illegal connection for electricity supply, they pay double or triple rates for the little they consume which is strictly for lighting only.

    So bloggers, as you stand in your hot shower this evening, or lie in your warm bath tab, or enjoy a cold drink from your fridge while punching through TV channels using your remote control, remember the plight of some these Kibera residents who are also Kenyans and comprise perhaps more than a quarter of the population of Nairobi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Phil its the one next to the railway line bridge.

    Thanks for your appeal to bloggers to remember the plight of our brothers and sisters in Kibera. We should remember those in mathare, mukuru etc....

    ReplyDelete

Any posts breaking the house rules of COMMON DECENCY will be promptly deleted, i.e. NO TRIBALISTIC, racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive, swearing, DIVERSIONS, impersonation and spam AMONG OTHERS. No exceptions WHATSOEVER.