Kibaki has been telling us that his government has set aside billions upon billions of Kenyan shillings for the purposes of resettling IDPs. Fat checks will be distributed to a segment of our population who were suddenly and violently impoverished in the aftermath of a stolen election, jealousy, historical injustices, land issues, war mongering etc. The recipients of these monies may use it to rebuild their lives, homes and businesses.
Any astute Kenyan citizen privy to the daily unending struggles being relived in IDP camps must agree that it is indeed prudent to financially assist our fellow brothers and sisters achieve some kind of pre-election normalcy. It is such welfare programs that identify progressive governments. It is in fact the duty of any government to ensure and protect the sanctity and continuity of life after natural and man-made calamities. All humane taxpayers must support and approve the endeavor to save our little innocent girls from the rape and mayhem associated with life in the IDP camps scattered all over the country.
Now back to Kenya. Sadly, most of us are currently preoccupied with arguments of whether or not IDPs should be welcomed back to their homes without local consultations. What of the sanctity of title deeds? Historical injustices? So who are IDKs? Constant security? These are all important questions that must be debated, however, we are neglecting the one billion dollar question that is bound to alienate our displaced folks to perpetuity.
The way I see it, while land and death are extremely emotional issues, neither is more explosive than money. Yes folks, money is the common denominator. We may have a government with progressive ideas but I wonder how progressive the minds of it's citizens really are. A time is coming when the fat checks will start trickling down to the freshly resettled neighbors. Now we all agree that 99.9% of the IDPs are GEMA related. Even if the other 0.1% got double doses of IDP cash, the perception among other Kenyans is obvious.
My intention is not to excite emotions, rather it is to prepare you for the coming years of increased resentment. Stories of how Kibaki stole the elections with intentions of pumping billions upon billions of taxpayer monies to Kikuyus will never end….especially if this money is used wisely to further increase the domination of the economy. People will easily forget the burning of citizen in churches and instead dwell on the brand new shiny mabati roofs spotting the Rift Valley scenery. For understandable security reasons, tribal gated communities may even prop up in some areas. Of course there are other underlying issues, such as why the money should go through Equity Bank or who will steal what at what time.
Picture this: For assorted reasons, Kiptanui violently evicts his neighbor Kamau, taking over his partially burnt house and land. A couple of months down the line, Kiptanui is arrested and jailed as Kamau is resettled and given enough money to put up a semi permanent home with shiny mabati roofs. The remaining cash is used to educate Kamau's children and possibly start a prosperous matatu business. In the meantime, the Mungiki leader is released as Kiptanui continues to rot in prison. While in prison, Kiptanui's wife secures a housemaid job in Kamau's prosperous household. Here, she is made to eat while seated on the kitchen floor as she's reminded of the evils of her husband and the fact that her kids cannot afford education. Time goes by and the police believe that Kiptanui has learnt his lesson. He's then released. A few weeks later Kiptanui and Kamau meet at the market and in the spirit of coalition, they hug and pretend to forget past injustices. It's obvious that Kiptanui is twenty times worse off financially while Kamau, despite loosing a few relatives, is ten times richer. Naturally, as Kiptanui sits on a stool under his leaky grass thatched hut, he sharpens his arrows in readiness for the next opportunity. This time, he'll take over a mabati roofed house. Kamau on the other hand keeps vigil armed with an arsenal of the best firearms money can buy. Having been given a second chance at life, he's well aware a third one will never come.
Now multiply that story by about a million times. Is it possible to permanently appease both Kamau and Kiptanui? Is Kibaki (and Raila) expected to provide guidance and can he do so with gusto?
It's my sincere hope that we choose the progressive way and allow our friends to be resettled in peace.
Check out Kasarani.com, a new way to meet and keep in touch with Kenyans worldwide. You can even start your own blog on Kasarani! Click here to go to Kasarani.com now