Scary military reaction to General Ogolla crash | Kenya news

Monday, June 18, 2007

Kumekucha Being Read In Matatus

archive

Today I received a message from a Kenyan residing in Tanzania telling me that he is an avid reader of this blog and read yesterday's posts on a web-enabled mobile phone while traveling in a "dala dala" (that's what they call matatus in Tanzania). He said that he especially enjoyed yesterday's amusing post about private telephone conversations in public places.

While Internet-enabled phones are a very common phenomenon in the West, I must admit that I was a little taken aback that it should be available in Africa and inside a matatu at that. Alas, these are just part of the rapid technological advances in which we now find ourselves in and which most of us can hardly keep up with.

Interestingly not too long ago the then CEO of a locally based web business predicted that the time is nigh when people in a matatu will all be busy surfing the net on their way home or to work.

Let me admit that I seriously considered editing out that part of the interview article at the time, because to me this was just too wild a possibility that would surely not happen in the next two decades at least and by then, who knows if Matatus will still be around? Somebody recently gave me a very convincing thesis of how we will all be flying around in some rocket-propelled personal gadgets. Wow!!

It seems that I was very wrong about the "surfing-in-matatus" prediction because it is in fact already happening and it is only a matter of time before it becomes much more widespread. Remember how cell phones used to cost Kshs 250,000 the first time they arrived in Kenya and could only be owned by prominent thieves of public funds and corruption czars? Now mobile phones are a basic necessity even for mama mboga..

However I foresee a few problems. We all know what kind of sites most schoolboys and men visit (a friend insists that the line dividing the two is too thin for comfort hence the similarities in bizarre tastes). Can you imagine the explicit images of people in various positions of the act and the moans and "animal noises" that go with it filling a matatu where at least half the occupants are drunk and trying to get home? It's not a pretty picture I can assure you.

Discover how the exciting new video web conferencing can make your business or web site much more profitable today.

Vote for a fellow Kenyan today because when he wins, Kenya wins

8 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, am not familiar with TZ networks, but am trying to imagine your guy reading this blog on his mobile using GPRS connection and WAP browsing. I doubt if this is feasible - unless there is another way. And at what tariff, equivalent of Kshs 10 per minute? Get real guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah as you admit you are not familiar with the situation in Tz where hawkers got mobile phones 2 years ahead of ordinary Kenyans. Anyway, I have gotten in touch with the guy and I expect him to get back to us on this one soon.

    By the way Tz has also had post-paid electricity (where you buy units the way you buy airtime) for almost three years now. As you know this one is still a rumour in Kenya.

    -Kumekucha-

    ReplyDelete
  3. When in Kenya, I use my US issued AT&T (cingular) web enabled cell phone to make calls, check email and browse the net. I presume I can use my cell phone in all parts of the world. What one has to be prepared for, financially and mentally, is the exorbitant roaming charges…..simply daylight robbery.

    Your friend in the TZ dala dala may have been using such a phone service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May be the kenyan economy is doing so well that we cant believe TZ's(or even our other neighbours) to be better than us.

    Sorry guys, but in the UK a co. by the T-Mobile is giving all other mobile phone providers a sleepless nite. With 900min to all time network at any time of the day with the 1st three months free on internet(which u can can leave on and go for a holiday without paying a single extra). My prediction is that in 8month's time the internet will come free as std. Just like my Nokia N95 gives me access to free GPS service.

    Wach wakora wa kenya bado waibe kwa wananchi.

    No wonder Back lays makes more profit than it does in kenya.

    To the phil of this world, my joe lower obeyed the law of the gravitational pull then disobeyed it suddenly when i saw a mechanic hold two callers while talking to the third one in zimbabwe in 1999 something i had never imagined. Probably u shud try it and see. Yaani i looked in amazement.

    By the way same year I walked along the streets of kampala without even a worry in this world. Same time in Zimbabwe the country was the safest place to walk come day or nite. I did enjoy their variety of BB hostels all theto Bulawayo though their born-shaker's trains weren't the best in the world. But then, that was the first time i had ever travelled by train.

    Dont let them make you believe that kenya is the best or that TZ cannot offera better service than Kenya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simon says.....................

    I Didnt mention that t-mobile offers that service at a very cheap price.

    It becomes even cheaper if you discover ways of using your minutes to call kenya(or the world) at absolutely no extra charge.

    though the timesonline UK is 20 months late in letting us aware of this news, my message to wezi companies in kenya is that it can be done.

    Again to those doubting credible messages, thanks to xriss, yawezekana. Again to those who believe in the possibility, lets get rid of this thieving serikali and replace it for the sake of continuity just like TZ.

    Phone overseas for free

    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/money/consumer_affairs/article1908866.ece


    Interesting comment from the above link
    Mobile networks have been charging customers over the odds for years. Calling overseas, receiving calls while overseas, calls to mobile phones from landlines, etc are all extremely high. These types of "loopholes" are a cool relief for their astronomic charges!

    You are also able to use 0844 access numbers (up to 5p/min) which are also included in Orange & Virgin inclusive minutes. They used to be included in O2 and T-Mobile too but they have changed their T&Cs for new contracts. I use 0844 570 1395 and I can call many overseas destinations including Europe, US, Far East.

    Mobile carriers may not continue to enable these types of calls for very long as they are losing out on the high charges. However they do still make money connecting these numbers.

    You have to consider that without these high call charges mobile phone tariffs and the actual handsets themselves would be much, much higher. Personally I don't mind the high charges for "extras" if it means a cheap handset/tariff.

    fuzzyhaha, Wimbledon,

    ReplyDelete
  6. am not doubting the fact that people can connect to the internet using their mobiles (GPRS), am just doubting if your blog is readable on WAP, and whether it is feasible to read all the posts and comments while loading page after page on a small mobile phone or a PDA screen. Of course he can use his mobile like a modem (just to get connected) and then use a data cable to browse via laptop or PC. I think WAP is unfeasible for reading the kind of info you have on the blog. If there is another way in the East African context, please teach us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Phil, I am the guy who reads Kumekucha posts on my cell phone. I see you have cast aspersions on what I told Chris about reading his blog posts on my cell phone here in Tanzania.

    It is quite in order that you have admitted that you don’t know about the network here in Tanzania. For your info, the network is very good (better than in Kenya, I bet). All the major mobile phone networks offer GPRS connection and WAP browsing to customers whose phones have WEB facilities. These mobile phone operators are, namely, Celtel, Vodacom, Zantel and Tigo.

    My phone is a Motorola C168. And I can virtually read as many sites as possible (sadly, without the benefit of images!). These web pages are modified for my mobile phone. Thus I can read the content in Kumekucha (all full stops and commas included!) on my phone. I can also read and compose E-mail.

    BTW, on average, Internet cafés in Dar es Salaam charge Tsh 500 per hour which is approx. Ksh 28. Where do you find such rates in Kenya? Another thing, Internet connection here is fast and reliable.
    I think you’ve got the gist of the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot to tell you how much is charged for the mobile phone Internet service here in Tanzania.

    I use a Celtel line. I am charged for every page I load and not the number of minutes I spend 'surfing'. The charge is Tsh 3.75 for every page I view. This roughly translates to Ksh 0.203 per page. That’s how cheap it is.

    Anyway, as they say, seeing is believing. And, if an old time maxim is anything to go by, then, we can say, what makes life worth living is that the unexpected so often happens. As in this case, Phil. Ne c’est pas?

    ReplyDelete

Any posts breaking the house rules of COMMON DECENCY will be promptly deleted, i.e. NO TRIBALISTIC, racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive, swearing, DIVERSIONS, impersonation and spam AMONG OTHERS. No exceptions WHATSOEVER.